"EMS: One Mission. One Team"
This page is dedicated to all EMS personnel who serve the community as our partners in healthcare. Their tireless contribution is driven from a place of true caring and compassion for human life and we are honored to have them within our community.
Below are EMS events and announcements, as well as registration for classes.
PHTLS: Pre-Hospital Trauma Life Support Classes
Sponsored by: Pocono Medical Center, The American College of Surgeons, Committee on Trauma, and the National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians
Pre-Hospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS) is taught at two levels:
- EMT Paramedics and PHRN Nurses
- EMT-Basic and First Responders
Both courses are based upon the Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) course for Physicians, which are sponsored by the Committee on Trauma of the American College of Surgeons. More importantly, it follows the protocols for prehospital care of the trauma patient as developed by the NAEMT Committee on Trauma.
COURSE MEDICAL DIRECTOR AND FACULTY
- David W. Scaff, D.O., FACS
Trauma Program Medical Director, Pocono Medical Center
- PHLTS DISTRICT REGIONAL FACULTY
Thomas Rothrock, PHRN, NREMT-P
- PHLTS COURSE COORDINATOR
Steven J. Kulick, EMT-Paramedic
PROVIDER PARTICIPANT PRE-REQUISITES
All participants must be a certified paramedic, EMT-B, PA DOH 1st Responder, or Licensed Registered Nurse/PHRN/Physician.
Participants successfully completing the PHTLS Provider Course shall be valid in PHTLS according to ACS & NAEMT standards for a maximum period of 4 years.
The National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians has awarded 16 hours of continuing education credit for the successful completion of the PHTLS provider course and 8 hours for the Renewal Course. Continuing education credits are issued by State of Pennsylvania.
Overnight accommodations are available. For assistance with overnight accommodations, please contact: The Budget Inn and Suites at (570) 424-5451.
- The Emergency Medical Technician Department of Transportation (DOT) curriculum parallels PHTLS for EMTs
- Emphasis is on Kinematics of Trauma (i.e., mechanism of injury)
- Instruction in primary and secondary surveys is identical to that taught in ATLS
- The program adheres to quality assurance guidelines in order to promote a nationally standardized course
- Each course and medical director are approved by the state COT chairman or designee
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
The primary goals of the Pre-Hospital Trauma Life Support 7th Edition courses are to:
- Advance the participant's level of knowledge in regard to examination and diagnostic skills
- Advance the participant's level of competence in regard to specific intervention skills
- Provide a description of the physiology and kinematics of injury
- Provide an understanding of the need for rapid assessment of the trauma patient
- Provide an overview and establish a management method for the prehospital care of the multisystems trauma patient
Pretest MUST be completed prior to course or admission will be denied.
07:45 Registration (coffee/tea/snacks served)
08:00 Welcome and Introduction
13:20 Baselines & Skill Stations
2014 COURSE DATE - PHTLS Provider Courses
Location: PMC Learning Institute
- $50.00 refundable fee for participants who meet the following criteria:
- Reside in Pennsylvania
- Provide services in Monroe County
- Register with SERVPA (www.serv.pa.gov)
- Respond to Pocono Medical Center during declared disasters as requested by the PMC Incident Command Team
- $165.00 non-refundable fee if you do not meet the above requirements (#1 or #2). Full-fee participants can only register by phone. Please call Barbara Bobinyec-Riffel at (570) 422-8161 or the PMC Learning Institute at (570) 426-6890, Option 1.
The registration fee includes PHTLS textbook, NAEMT fee, course materials, and AM refreshments & lunch.
Pre-registration is mandatory. The number of participants accepted for each course is limited. The course fee must accompany registration form. The course materials will be mailed to you one month prior to course. Registrations will not be accepted less than 14 days prior to the course.
Cancellation of registration must be received 10 business days prior to the course start date. If cancellation is received less than 10 business days prior to course start date, no refund will be allowed.
Returned Check Policy
There will be a $25 fee charged for any returned checks.
Please call 570-422-8161 for information on course registration or cancellations.
*A portion of the course will be held outside. Please dress appropriately for the weather.*
Questions? Please contact Barbara Bobinyec-Riffel at (570) 422-8161 or the PMC Learning Institute at (570) 426-6890, Option 1.
EMS Photo Gallery
Area EMS providers